Saturday, October 17, 2009

He’s a sack of cool

Have you ever noticed that some people are just way cooler than others? I walked by a guy on the street the other day with dreads in a turban (is that what those cool mustard colored hair sacks are?…and come to think of it…why does “mustard” look so good on people with dreadlocks?…hmm…) I decided that there is just a whole group of people who are way cooler than I’ll ever be. They have genetic predisposition to it. I’m way more intense than cool I guess. Don’t get me wrong, I can be well behaved and mild mannered in public, but usually someone will expect some sort of a performance out of me. The funny thing is that I’m not “attention seeking!” I used to be I guess, but I’m not at all anymore. I’m not a fan of the “look at me” personality. I just wish that I could walk by people without them looking at me. It’s as though I have a high-pitched alarm on my shoes that screams out to people. I don’t even have to say anything. Personally, I like to fade into the background. I love to just listen to music while I work out and not get into a conversation. The gym is really one of the only places it’s okay to stand next to someone you don’t know and never even mutter a hello. I suppose it’s like that on an airplane too. Or is it supposed to be? Etiquette is a strange thing. Are you supposed to talk to the person next to you or is it suggested that you ignore them? I like to introduce myself and go back to doing my own thing. That way if anything crazy happens, I don’t have to introduce myself while I’m actually asking them to pass me a lifejacket. Who would hand their lifejacket to a complete stranger? I like to cover all of my bases.


So why are some people so much cooler than others? I guess it’s just the way it is. I don’t tend to be attracted to “cool”. That “no sense of urgency” personality that makes people late everywhere, drives me insane. I do wonder if that’s the reason that I’m single though. The type “A” guy that I’m attracted to, seems to be looking for someone far less successful to take care of. Chances are, I’m going to get stuck with someone who is laidback, doesn’t ever finish what he starts, and only made it through the first semester of college and then decided “school wasn’t for him” cause he wanted to “be creative!”…that really stinks! I can’t stand people like that. My heart rate actually rises when I run into one. I sort of want to put them on my back and run them to their destination for fear that they aren’t ever going to get there! Fly little bird! Fly!
What’s the moral of this story?…well…I guess it is that I need someone to balance out my intensity…who I will find completely unattractive. Now that’s a huge sack of “suck”!

0 comments: