Saturday, October 10, 2009

Billboards are just "signs"...

I drive by a church billboard from time to time and take notice that sometimes its message is a very good one. One day I was driving by moments after having a conversation with a friend about not worrying about things while hoping that they would just go away. The billboard said, “Facts ignored still exist.” Whoa…That’s freaky! I started driving up there everyday. I went up there one day hoping that it was going to say something like, “Look under the rock in the back yard. There’s a million dollars there.” Instead, it said, “Forbidden fruit creates many jams.” I wasn’t sure who the message was for in my life, but I was certain that I was supposed to share it. I went home later and called my friend and told her what our message for the day was. I repeated it to her as I remembered it: “Forbidden fruit makes great pies.”…I couldn’t remember why I thought it had been a good message? It seemed a little silly to me as I thought back on it. I had no idea what the inner meaning was but I tried to make sense of it. I even made a pie. It didn’t seem to help much…but it tasted good. I sat by the TV eating another slice, hoping to get the inspiration that the billboard had intended as a commercial for Jenny Craig ran. I thought… “Maybe that’s the message. I need to stop eating pie.” Yeah…but that would’ve been a strange way for God to get me there. Wouldn’t he just have written, “Stop eating. Your pants aren’t going to fit this weekend.”…I could barely think anymore…or breathe for that matter. Too much pie! I decided that I had better drive up the hill and find out what the sign had said again. I got there and it said, “Faith goes up the stairs that love has built and jumps out the window that hope has opened.”…Oh come on! Now I knew that someone was messing with me. I’m not playing anymore! I’m taking my ball back and going home…to have more pie!

The moral of this story?…Sometimes signs are just signs …and… we need to use our own judgment about how much pie to eat!

…or…billboards need locked glass over them so that delinquents (with good senses of humor) don’t have people driving all over town looking for windows to jump out of...


0 comments: