Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Why is everyone my age a grown-up now?…

Have you ever noticed that somehow all of the people you grew up with are older than you now? I have a childhood friend who I used to spend a lot of time with. I don't feel like we are the same age anymore. There are pictures on her mantle of her “big-girl” house with her husband and children in them. I think they even have one of those pans that you make turkeys in! They are truly adults. I got her on the phone yesterday to see if she wanted to go to the gym with me. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: “Hey! What are you up to?”
Her: “I was just getting home and…DON’T TOUCH THAT!”
Me: “I didn’t.... I was just putting my sweats on! Wanna go to the gym with me?”
Her: “WHAT DID I TELL YOU?
Me: “Um…well...uh...that sugar isn't a great substitute for flour in cake just cause it's white?”
Her: “what?
Me: “huh?” ... “Anyway…do you want to go?”
Her: “Where?”
Me: “The gym…”
Her: “Jim who?”
Me: “...Yeah…um...well I saw a giraffe in the lobby today."
Her: “uh huh!...cool…Yeah..."PUT THAT DOWN!”
Me: “Yeah...You're right! I didn't really need to eat that anyway...just a habit”
Her: “.... Yeah...nice” ( …whispered voice )“stop! I told you! Shh”
Me: “Yeah! ...Really nice! Apparently the end of the world is coming in 3 days.”
Her: “yeah…I know…uh huh…” (whispered…) “shh…”
Me: “okay then! ...gotta go.”
Her: “Alright! I’ll catch you later!”
Me: ‘bye.”
Her: “uh huh. STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!”

Well…I guess that was 5 minutes that I'm not getting back…but luckily I still had about 4 hours worth of 5 minute intervals that I didn't really need for anything. So...I went to the gym! I love the gym! At least when I'm on that crazy machine that makes me look like a gazelle in the jungle, and people are ignoring me, I can pretend that they had to sneak out of the house because they needed some space from their families! ah hah! Lucky me! ...feeewww...just when I was starting to feel sorry for myself, the lady screaming at her daughter on the cell phone on the treadmill next to my gazellalicious machine reminded me that my life won't always be as "easy" as it is now! I should be careful what i wish for!

0 comments: