Thursday, January 21, 2010

I like making plans with you!...maybe one day you'll show up!

It’s like that old episode of Seinfeld when Jerry went to pick up the rental car that he had reserved but there wasn’t one there for him. He explained what the word “reservation” meant and they said, “We know what the word reservation means sir.” He replied, “I don’t think you do!”…

I bring this up due to the fact that I seem to have a number of people in my life who make plans with me and have no intention of ever showing up to them. Um? WTF?…I can’t figure out what good it would do anyone to guilt me repeatedly about not getting together and then when I make a plan, confirm the plan and then follow through the plan, the person simply either doesn’t contact me, or waits until there’s no way I am still waiting to send out a quick email to apologize, half-heartedly, for canceling. The funny thing is that this happens to me all the time and usually I feel bad and end up sending a sugar and spice email wishing them well!…Come on! This is clearly my fault. I couldn’t possibly think in the way a person who would desperately crave the feeling of having someone waiting for them to show up while sitting back and controlling their actions by not going. This type of person is obviously unhealthy right?…BUT…whose the unhealthy one? The person who keeps being a jerk by repeating his actions, or the person who consistently allows the other to apologize and thinks that the next time it will be different?..uh…DUH! Delete! This is not a friendship.

I’m not angry about it. I’m more baffled by the recurring nature of the problem with multiple people in my life. It’s actually kind of funny that I would have a revolving door on my “friend storage unit” that is completely open for people to run through on a whim with no need for any reciprocation. Should I go the next time any of these people invite me somewhere?…absolutely not!…Will I?…probably…but when it involves driving 3 hours to get there, I will definitely take a change of clothes and a candy bar…baby steps!


0 comments: