Thursday, January 7, 2010

Birds of a feather

I have been noticing lately that married people tend to shut out single people from their lives. I find this very interesting. It’s not as though they are doing it intentionally…though in some cases it does seem to be intentional…but usually only after someone’s spouse has somehow suggested that a single person is attractive or mentioned something unknowingly inappropriate. They can’t really be blamed for this though. People have their ways of starting confrontation. Women sometimes trap men into saying things just so they can get angry with them. Men-Do not fall into this vicious trap. It’s the old “Honey, Do these pants make me look fat?” trick…There is no good answer to this question. You are being set up to fail and your answer will be used against you for the rest of your life (but don’t worry because the rest of your life may not be all that long after you answer this question)! It’s equally as bad a question as a guy asking a girl if certain parts of his body are the biggest she’s ever seen. Again- NO GOOD ANSWER!…Clearly uproarious laugher will be taken as a diss…even a “Yes honey!” and a wink can be badly misconstrued. These are the social traps that people get themselves into. The answer to “Honey, Do these pants make me look fat?” is “huh?…Oh. I forgot to tell you about what happened at work today!”…I personally like, “no fatter than usual honey”, or, “No. It’s not the pants that are making you look fat. I think it’s the cheese that’s making you look fat!”…but that’s just me…because I think it’s extremely funny. But keep in mind that you may be asking for a lifetime of performance anxiety when I return my response to you as “hee hee…No. I think it’s cute honey!”…Not good! DON’T GO THERE!

So are single people meant to only spend time with other single people? I agree that it can be a little easier to spend time with people who share common interests, but sometimes we end up commiserating about the negative aspects of singleness…Believe me! I know about this. I know how that conversation can start. “Hi!”, “Hello”, “My ex sucks!”, “So does mine”…and there you have it - The beginning of a beautiful friendship. But are we doing each other any good by dwelling in past and present shortcomings? I wonder if it would be possible for a bunch of single people to get together and never bring up anything that has to do with the single life?…Probably not. This is what we know about. It’s hard to talk about things we don’t know about but maybe we could dwell on something different for the first 10 minutes of the conversation at least. Like say…Politics?…Well…maybe politics isn’t the best topic to start with. I know how democrats get…hee hee…see that? I just lost half of my readers with one sentence. Note to self: in conversation with other single people, leave out single talk and politics….um…What’s left?…Okay…music. I love techno…and there go the other half of my readers…and here in ends the blog!…

Boy! That was a cliffhanger. Scared ya didn’t I? No worries! I didn’t end it. Ixnay on the usicmay!…Oh well. I suppose that we could just try to make sure that we aren’t dragging each other down by over-conversing about topics that become depressing. If you are having trouble meeting someone, change the sentence to, “I know there’s someone out there for me.” If you are bored because you have too much time on your hands, change the sentence to “I am so lucky to have some of the free time that so many people don’t have the luxury of”…These are simple changes we can make that will help us to use the law of attraction in our favor. If single people have only each other, we'd better learn how to build each other up instead of drag each other into a spiral of depression!…I mean…Single people are lucky to have each other to share the excitement of a world full of opportunities and possibilities!…Oh yeah! I’m getting good at this!…


0 comments: