Friday, November 13, 2009

The long hug…

I’ve been noticing that people seem to get a little too touchy in their hugging lately. I ran into a man when I was singing the other night that put his arms out for a hug. I leaned in for a quick pat on the back. Well!…NOT SO!…Apparently he had something different in mind. He ran his hand up my back and into the back of my hair where he rubbed my scalp, messed my neatly sprayed locks as he mumbled some unintelligible utterance. I started to pull away and he kept me there, patting my back and stroking my head. I had enough time to ponder the fact that I was clearly stuck there for the duration of the evening. How would I sing? How would I dance? I had a man stuck to my head. I worried that he may be a little sick in the head due to the fact that I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who was quite so cuddly. Not to mention that I am definitely not a fan of public displays of affection. I really don’t feel like it’s anyone’s business that a dirty old man seems to think he’s at a petting zoo. Oh well…Maybe I need to work harder at maintaining my own personal boundaries! From now on, I guess I’ll wear a sign that says “please don’t touch the singer!”…I can put it next to the sign I already wear that says, “Please don’t feed the singer!”

0 comments: